Withdrawal, suspension and other academic career events


During your studies, you may find yourself in particular situations whereby you need to change your student status and, as a result, your fee status. This section explains the cases which you may encounter and what to do.


You may withdraw from your studies at any time, if you are up-to-date with your fees payment. The date of withdrawal is established as the date of payment of the virtual stamp duty. Withdrawal is irrevocable.

You must submit the form of withdrawal from studies via the Student Portal (University records – application to end studies) and complete all steps in the procedure. You can verify the status of your request right up to the definitive closure of your student status. After presenting the request, you will be charged the mandatory virtual stamp duty of € 16 (payment of the stamp duty is binding for acceptance of the application)..

Before submitting the request, three factors need to be checked:

  1. Payment status for years in which you were registered on the course (in the event that some instalments still need to be paid, you must settle these payments before requesting withdrawal from studies). Individuals who withdraw after 31 March 2023 must pay both the second and third instalment of university fees.
  2. Any exams taken must be officially recorded before presenting the application to withdraw.
  3. If you have not passed any exams or renewed your registration in the last few years, check that you are not actually subject to forfeiture. Refer to the previous paragraphs of this page.


Forfeiture applies in these cases:

  1. you have not re-enrolled for a number of years equal to the normal duration of the course
  2. you have regularly re-enrolled for the duration of the course but have not passed any exams with credits or final evaluations with credits in a number of years equal to the normal duration of the course.
  3. You are registered simultaneously on two or more courses at the same or different universities as this situation (L.33/2022)

Forfeiture does not apply when all exams for credit have been passed, with only the final exam remaining.

In the event that forfeiture is ascertained, the University may reimburse any paid fees which were not due, exclusively for the academic year in progress when the situation occurs.

In this event, you should send the form “Declaration of forfeiture – new system (mod. 014b) to the Student Services Office. You can download the form from the page Forms for students, in the section Withdrawal, suspension, forfeiture 

Forfeiture in old system (pre-reform 509/1999)

You are subject to forfeiture in the event that you have not re-enrolled on your study programme for eight years or if you have regularly renewed enrolment but have not taken any exams or final exams with credits for eight years.

In this event, you should send Student Services the form “Declaration of forfeiture – old system (mod. 014)”

You can download the form from the page Forms for students, in the section Withdrawal, suspension, forfeiture 

Leave of absence

You may request leave of absence from your studies only in these cases:

  1. Childbirth. Maternity/paternity leave should be requested for the year in which the baby is born, and applies to the academic year of the request.
  2. Long-term serious illness. This applies to the academic year in which it is requested but may be extended if the illness/condition continues.

In these cases, where possible, you must apply for the required change of status within the administrative deadlines, before renewing registration, and certainly before paying the first instalment (where due). If a reason for leave of absence arises after paying the student fee, you can make a late application.

To acquire leave of absence, you must submit the application complete with stamp duty payment of €16 to Student Services, along with the receipt of payment of € 150, and a self-declaration of the birth of your child, or any specialist medical certificates referring to your health condition.

Approved requests for suspension/leave of absence are not revocable during the academic year. You will not be able to take exams or acquire academic credits during the year of suspension/leave of absence.

Suspension of studies

You can ask to suspend your career in these cases:

  1. if you intend to start studying at a military academy or foreign university.
  2. if you intend to enrol on a 1st or 2nd level vocational Master’s programme.

In such cases, you must apply before the deadlines laid down on registration for the new academic year, i.e. before renewing registration and before paying the first instalment where due. This is a compulsory deadline, with no reimbursement possible.

To suspend studies, you must deliver the application form complete with stamp duty payment of €16 to Student Services by the enrolment deadline, pay the € 150 fee and attach a self-declaration stating the reason(s) for the suspension (e.g. specifying the destination Academy and period, details of the Master’s programme and period, etc).

Suspension must be requested again every year until the situation is resolved.

Suspension does not interrupt the timeline for forfeiture of student status.

Once the suspension is approved, the request cannot be revoked during the academic year in progress. No exams may be taken, nor CFU credits be acquired during the year of suspension.

Leave of absence and restarting

If you interrupted your studies for at least 2 academic years, and wish to re-start your course by registering on the current year, you must pay an acknowledgement fee of € 150 for each suspended academic year  when you were not registered.